ACTON, Maine - The town of Acton came together Saturday to help a single mom and her two children who lost everything in a house fire earlier in the day.
The fire broke out at their home on Garvin Road around 6:30 a.m.
Luckily, the two children were not at the house at the time and the mom got out OK, but several pets were lost in the blaze, according to posts on Town Administrator Jennifer Roux' Facebook page.
|Two of several tables filled with contributed clothing and toys at Acton's Town Hall on Saturday. (Courtesy photo)|
Roux called on Acton residents to begin a fund and clothes drive to help out the young family and townspeople stepped up to the plate bigtime.
By the end of the day there were several piles of clothes, shoes and Christmas presents at Town Hall as well as about a $1,000 in gift cards for the family.
Roux said she was heartened by the generosity of residents in a Facebook post sent out last night.
"I pulled into the Town Hall at exactly 5 p.m. The parking lot was full of about 30 people, waiting to donate to the Bradley family," she wrote. "Together the community dropped off brand new clothes, shoes, socks, pajamas, toys, underwear, toiletries, and so much more for mom, and both kids. Additionally monetary and gift card donations totaled almost $1000. This is all less than 12 hours after the fire ... You are an amazing community Acton Maine."
The Red Cross is also assisting the family.
The home was said to be a total loss.
Mutual aid was provided to Acton Fire by Sanford, Shapleigh, Newfield, Alfred, Lebanon and Wells fire departments, along with Wakefield, Milton and Middleton, New Hampshire firefighters. The Rochester, New Hampshire Fire Department provided station coverage.