MILTON - Unfounded rumors on social media led to a school shooting scare at Nute Middle High School on Wednesday.
When school administrators found out about the rumors they notified police who quickly conducted an investigations and learned there was neither a credible threat nor a basis upon which the statements on social media had been made.
School officials, rather, called the police out of an abundance of caution.
"The school district continues to appreciate the Milton Police Department and their rapid response to ensure that all students and staff are safe," Radowicz said in an email to parents.
Milton Police Chief Richard Krauss urged students in the future to report any usch concerns to school personnel rather than on social media.
In one email sent to parents Principal Jan Radowicz said the rumors began after a student asked if the school would create a map so they could find their way around.
Another student then speculated the student was mapping out the school in preparation for a shooting, and social media began running with it.