NEW HAMPSHIRE AND MAINE’S FASTEST GROWING ONLINE NEWSPAPER

Lowell Street basement fire forces residents from home

Comment Print
Related Articles
A space heater that was destroyed during a fire in the basement of a home in Rochester today. (Rochester Fire Department photo)

ROCHESTER - Combustible material left too close to a space heater could be the culprit in a basement fire today at a home on Lowell Street.

Rochester Fire got a call from a resident who reported there was a fire inside her house at 59 Lowell St around 9:25 a.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke and flames in the basement and worked quickly to extinguish the fire.

The female resident was able to escape safely from the house with her dog. No injuries were reported.

The fire was contained to the basement, where a space heater and other nearby items were on the floor. The rest of the house sustained a significant amount of smoke damage.

The two residents of the house will be temporarily displaced.

While the cause of the fire remains under investigation, Rochester Fire Chief Mark Klose took the opportunity to remind residents not to leave anything that is potentially combustible near space heaters that are in use.

Firefighters from Dover, Durham and Barrington were called to the scene to provide assistance, while the Somersworth and Milton fire departments provided station coverage for Rochester. A Frisbie Memorial Hospital ambulance was also on medical standby.

The Rochester Police Department also assisted at the scene by directing traffic and closing the road for about a half hour.

Read more from:
Rochester
Tags:
None
Share:
Comment Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: