NEW HAMPSHIRE AND MAINE’S FASTEST GROWING ONLINE NEWSPAPER

NH takes action over DOJ move on Internet lottery sales

Comment   Print
Related Articles

CONCORD - The state of New Hampshire on Friday filed a complaint on behalf of the New Hampshire Lottery Commission with the United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire challenging the United States Department of Justice opinion that the 1961 Wire Act applies to lottery sales over the Internet.
The directive was brought forward by Gov. Chris Sununu, Attorney General Gordon J. MacDonald and New Hampshire Lottery Executive Director Charlie McIntyre.

"New Hampshire is taking action to protect public education in New Hampshire," said Gov. Sununu. "The opinion issued by DOJ puts millions of dollars of school funding at risk, and we have a responsibility to stand up for our students."
"The New Hampshire Lottery has a responsibility to support education in New Hampshire," McIntyre said. "Just last year, the New Hampshire Lottery generated $87.5 million in net profits, all of which supports education in New Hampshire, and we expect to generate more than $90 million for education this year. This reversal by DOJ puts that support for education in question."
Since 1964, the New Hampshire Lottery has had a significant financial impact on the state. For the past 54 years, the New Hampshire Lottery has recorded more than $6.6 billion in lottery sales and other earnings, with over $4.4 billion paid in prizes and other cost of sales. Net proceeds to education total over $2 billion to date.

Read more from:
Wine and Dine
Tags 
None
Share: 
Comment Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: