CONCORD - Every day, ordinary people make extraordinary contributions by putting their own needs aside to help others in our community, son the American Red Cross is calling on all New Hampshire residents to nominate someone for the Everyday Heroes Awards, an annual event that salutes these often unsung heroes.
The Everyday Heroes Awards raises public awareness of local heroes who reflect the mission of the Red Cross by responding in time of need with selfless acts of courage and compassion.
The American Red Cross is asking the residents of New Hampshire to nominate a friend, a co-worker or someone they know for the Everyday Heroes Awards so that someone who has done something extraordinary can be honored for their selfless acts.
A hero might be someone simply lending a helping hand or someone who's saved a life.
Possible nomination categories could include:
- Good Samaritan (over 18 or under 18) - Citizen responsible for an extraordinary act of heroism or courage
- Military member - Member of the armed forces (active or retired, commissioned or non-commissioned) whose lifesaving action went above and beyond the call of duty - this award may be awarded posthumously
- Firefighter - Professional or volunteer fire fighter or emergency dispatch operator whose lifesaving action went above and beyond the call of duty
- Law Enforcement - Law enforcement agent whose lifesaving actions went above and beyond the call of duty
- International Services - Individual, group or company in recognition of their commitment to humanitarian efforts in other parts of the world
- Animal Rescue - An animal that saved the life of a human, an ordinary citizen who used lifesaving skills to save the life of an animal(s), or to an individual involved in the care of animals.
- Aquatics - Lifeguard or ordinary citizen whose lifesaving action was able to prevent a serious water-related injury or drowning
- Medical Professional - Doctor, nurse or EMT whose lifesaving actions went above and beyond the call of duty
- Community Impact - Presented to a community group, neighborhood organization or local company that consistently demonstrates a commitment to making their community a safer and more compassionate community
- Community Service - Individual in recognition of volunteering their time to help others in the community
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Individual in recognition of their lifelong dedication and consistent support to further a cause that benefits the community
Everyday Heroes Nominees must meet the following criteria: Nominee must be a resident of New Hampshire and the heroic act/rescue must have taken place between December 1, 2017 and November 30, 2018.
Nominations are being accepted now through Dec. 7, 2018. To nominate a Hero or for additional information, go to the nomination page at redcross.org/nhheroes or visit www.redcross.org/nhvt and scroll to Local Events.
The winners will be honored at the Everyday Heroes Awards event on Wednesday, April 17, at the Grappone Conference Center. The address is 70 Constitution Ave. Concord, NH 03301. The event will begin at 5:30 p.m. and run to 8:30 p.m. Winners will be awarded in the company of their loved ones, and possibly the people they helped. Videos showcasing their stories will be shown for an evening of stories that align with the Fundamental Principles of the American Red Cross.