Woman charged in fatal stabbing of ex-husband blames killing on not taking meds

Comment     Print
Related Articles
Kandee Collind, right, and her defense team enter York County Superior Court on Thursday. (Portland Press Herald photo)

ALFRED, Maine - The Acton woman who was expected to plead guilty to fatally stabbing her ex-husband was in York Superior Court on Thursday trying to withdraw her plea.

Kandee Collind, 48, formerly known as Kandee Weyland, had offered up her guilty plea earlier this summer, but now contends she had not taken her meds and was not in her right mind when she killed her ex in front of her two young children on Feb. 22, 2017.

The judge continued the hearing until January since Collind's defense team said it needed more time to process additional evidence in the case.

The prosecutors from the Maine Attorney General's Office have opposed that request.

Collind allegedly killed her husband in the driveway of his mother's house after he had been awarded custody of their two young children.

According to police affidavits, Collind's 11-year-old son tried to wrestle the steering wheel away from his mom as she drove toward the house where the deadly confrontation played out.

The mother of Scott Weyland said hours after the deadly confrontation that his estranged wife brought the couple's two children to his home to watch their father die.

The former Kandee Weyland had been awarded primary custody of the two children until she was served papers the day before the confrontation, papers that said her house was uninhabitable and that custody had been transferred to Scott Weyland.

The affidavit also alleged early on the day of the attack Kandee Weyland told her mother, Linda Griffin, that she wanted her ex-husband dead.

According to the affidavit, she later drove with her son and 7-year-old daughter to where Scott Weyland was living at his mother's home on Milton Mills Road and rearended a parked pickup truck in the driveway.

The 11-year-old son knew she wasn't allowed at the house and tried to grab the steering wheel en route, the affidavit said. The son also told police his father had an unopened pocket knife and knew he'd been stabbed when he saw him covered in blood, the affidavit said.

Scott Weyland, who had recently moved in to live with his mom at 1097 Milton Mills Road, died upon arrival at Southern Maine Medical Center in Sanford shortly after the assault.

Kandee Weyland was treated and released with minor cuts and was found to have a small knife stuck in her abdomen, the affidavit stated.

On the day of the attack Gay Weyland, a former Sanford Police detective, said she and her son had been trying for almost a year to get the kids away from their mom.

"We've been fighting for 10 months to get those kids to a safe place," she said tearfully as she talked to reporters on her back stoop just hours after the tragedy.

The house in which the children and Kandee Weyland had been living had earlier been deemed uninhabitable due to clutter and other issues.

Read more from:
Comment      Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: