Affidavit reveals grisly details in Acton dad's stabbing death

Comment Print
Related Articles
Kandee Weyland (Police photo) and Scott Weyland (Courtesy photo)

ALFRED, Maine - The 11-year-old son of an Acton woman charged in the death of the boy's father tried to wrestle the steering wheel away from his mom as she drove toward the house where the deadly confrontation played out.

This, among other unsettling details of Scott Weyland's death, surfaced on Thursday when arrest affidavits were released shortly after a guilty plea was entered at York County Superior Court for Kandee Weyland, who was indicted last month in the murder of her estranged husband.

Kandee Weyland, 46, of 2455 Milton Mills Road, stands charged with fatally stabbing her ex-husband, Scott Weyland, 43, on Feb. 22.

Scene of Feb. 22 attack at 1097 Milton Mills Road in Acton. (Lebanon Voice file photo)

The mother of Scott Weyland said hours after the deadly confrontation that his estranged wife brought the couple's two children to his home to watch their father die.

Kandee Weyland had been awarded primary custody of the two children until she was served papers the day before the confrontation, papers that said her house was uninhabitable and that custody had been transferred to Scott Weyland.

The affidavit released yesterday alleged earlier the day of the attack Kandee Weyland told her mother, Linda Griffin, that she wanted her ex-husband dead.

According to the affidavit, she later drove with her son and 7-year-old daughter to where Scott Weyland was living at his mother's home on Milton Mills Road and rearended a parked pickup truck in the driveway.

The 11-year-old son knew she wasn't allowed at the house and tried to grab the steering wheel en route, the affidavit said. The son also told police his father had an unopened pocket knife and knew he'd been stabbed when he saw him covered in blood, the affidavit said.

Scott Weyland, who had recently moved in to live with his mom at 1097 Milton Mills Road, died upon arrival at Southern Maine Medical Center in Sanford shortly after the assault.

Kandee Weyland was treated and released with minor cuts and was found to have a small knife stuck in her abdomen, the affidavit stated.

On the day of the attack Gay Wayland, a former Sanford Police detective, said she and her son had been trying for almost a year to get the kids away from their mom.

"We've been fighting for 10 months to get those kids to a safe place," she said tearfully as she talked to reporters on her back stoop just hours after the tragedy.

The house in which the children and Kandee Weyland had been living had earlier been deemed uninhabitable due to clutter and other issues.

Kandee Weyland, who continues to be held without bail at York County Jail, faces up to 25 years if convicted.

Read more from:
Top Stories
Comment Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: