CONCORD - State and local law enforcement agencies across the nation are stepping up enforcement efforts for motorists who not wearing their seat belts in a "Join the Clique" campaign that runs from Monday through June 6.
New Hampshire's seat belt law requires that any child under the age of 18 be secured by either a seat belt or a child safety seat. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that all child-passengers are properly restrained.
"Seat belts save lives. Join the New Hampshire Clique campaign reminds everyone to wear their seat belt every trip, every time, no exceptions," said Robert Quinn, commissioner of the NH Department of Safety. "The goal of this campaign is to save lives and reduce traffic related injuries and fatalities."
"In 2020, New Hampshire lost 20 lives because they were ejected from their vehicles," said John Clegg, program manager of the New Hampshire Office of Highway Safety. "If you know of a friend or family member who does not buckle up when they are drive, ask them to change their habits and to always wear their seat belt. Help us spread this lifesaving message before one more friend or family member is killed."
NH seat belt facts
• In 2020 the seat belt use rate in the State of New Hampshire was 72.4%, which is okay -- but we can do better. The other 27.6% still need to be reminded that seat belts save lives.
• 41 out of 63 (or 65.1%) total motor vehicle occupant fatalities were indicated as not using a seat belt or safety restraints for 2020.