Police: Officer-involved shooting began after man tried to smash neighbor's door

Comment     Print
Related Articles

FRANKLIN - An incident that led to an officer involved shooting that left a Franklin man dead began Monday night when police responded to an apartment building after a 911 caller said her neighbor had tried to break into her residence.

Franklin Police officers got involved around 9:55 p.m. when they were dispatched to 32 West Bow St. after the 911 caller reported she was physically unharmed, but was inside her apartment when her adult male neighbor across the hall tried to smash through her front door, according to a statement sent from AG's office today. Upon arrival responding officers saw her door had been shot at with a firearm. Officers then evacuated the woman and tried to make contact with the adult male across the hall.

Shortly after the officers heard gunshots coming from inside the male's residence and an armed standoff ensued, during which members of the New Hampshire State Police SWAT Unit responded to assist, police say.

The disturbance triggered a shelter-in-place order around 2:45 a.m. for residents in the area of Central and West Bow Streets in Franklin overnight. That order has since been lifted.

Initial reports indicate that officers saw black smoke coming from the windows and eaves of the building around 2:35 a.m. Then around 3 a.m. officers could see fire inside the building when the adult male exchanged multiple gunshots with troopers.

Soon after the male stopped firing and was located just outside the residence near a rear first-floor window after suffering from apparent gunshot wounds.

Life saving measures were later attempted, but the severity of the fire prevented officers from being able to get to the male to provide immediate medical aid. The male was pronounced deceased at the scene.

His identity is being withheld pending notification of next of kin. An autopsy will be scheduled by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for Tuesday.

No law enforcement officers have been physically injured and there is no threat to the public at this time. The building suffered severe damage from the fire. The origin and cause of how the fire began inside the home is currently under investigation by the New Hampshire State Fire Marshal's Office.

Two members of the New Hampshire State Police SWAT Unit discharged firearms as part of this incident. Pursuant to protocol, the names of the two troopers involved are being withheld pending the conclusion of formal interviews.

The exact circumstances surrounding this incident remain under active investigation.

Read more from:
Comment      Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: