Two months later, more questions than answers in mysterious Lebanon rollover

Comment     Print
Related Articles
The vehicle rolled over and came to rest on a guardrail. It is suspected the victim walked away from the crash. (Lebanon Fire and EMS photos)

SOUTH LEBANON - Almost two months since it occurred, State Police say they continue an active investigation into an early morning accident at the intersection of Route 202 and River Road.

The Oct. 9 crash took down power lines as a vehicle headed westbound careened out of control around 3:20 a.m. and ended upside down perched atop a guardrail on the west side of River Road.

Maine State Police Sgt. Jonathan Shapiro said on Friday that there is still an active and ongoing investigation into the crash, which so far has resulted in no arrests.

The crash left several power lines down and in need of repair or replacement.

"We are still trying to find out who was driving the car," Shapiro said, adding that he couldn't divulge where the vehicle may now be, whether it was impounded or anything else since it is all part of the investigation.

Rochester Police responded first around 3:22 a.m. for a 911 caller who reported what sounded like a motor vehicle accident near the bridge that connects South Lebanon and East Rochester.

A Rochester Police officer crossed the bridge into Maine and verified there was an accident, that there were wires down and fluids on the ground, but no driver in the vicinity.

Meanwhile, an East Rochester Cumberland Farms employee told officers they'd seen a male covered with blood walking toward Rochester on Highland Street about the same time.

Rochester Police later told The Rochester Voice that the investigating officer crossed the East Rochester bridge into Lebanon and secured the scene until a State Trooper arrived.

Since the accident occurred in Maine they had no further information on the case.

Lebanon Fire and EMS and State Police were dispatched around 3:35 a.m. Upon arrival, they found a single vehicle resting against a guard rail with heavy damage, according to Lebanon Fire and EMS, which said one pole had been broken and was lying about 15 feet from its original location. They also confirmed no operator or passengers of the vehicle in the area of the crash scene.

Read more from:
Comment      Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: