Wild crime spree follows unpaid taxi ride to Berwick, police say

Comment Print
Related Articles
Todd LeGrand (Alfred Jail photo)

BERWICK, Maine - A Dover, N.H. man was arrested on Thursday after he broke into a couple of Berwick residences where he showered, ate and drank some beers and also let loose horses and other pets before being discovered by a returning homeowner and arrested by police after a footchase.

The bizarre incident unfolded around 2 p.m. when Berwick Police got a 911 call from a resident on School Street in the area of Wentworth Road. The caller said she arrived home and discovered that several of her animals were outside of her apartment and several of the horses to an adjacent barn were roaming free.

The caller entered her apartment and discovered an unknown male. She then retreated from the property and called authorities, who were there within minutes and learned that the male suspect had fled, running away from the property. The suspect was described as a heavier white male, wearing only sweatpants.

Chief Timothy Towne, Captain Jerry Locke, Sergeant Steve Shisler and Detective Ron Lund were the first officers to arrive. Towne and Lund chased the suspect on foot while Locke, Shisler and Officers Kevin LeDoux and Brendan Reil set up a perimeter containing the suspect.

After a several minute footchase the suspect was apprehended at the wood line by Towne.

The man had received minor injuries on his bare feet as he ran through numerous bushes attempting to elude officers. He was later treated for the same injuries by Berwick Fire Rescue.

The South Berwick and North Berwick Police Departments responded and assisted with securing the perimeter as well with the initial investigation.

Arrested was Todd LeGrand, 53, of Dover. He was charged with several counts of burglary, theft and violation of conditions of release. LeGrand had been arrested by the Berwick Police Department on Monday for an outstanding warrant and was transported to the York County Jail and released from custody on Wednesday.

Police say LeGrand took a taxi Thursday morning from Sanford to North Berwick and was charged with theft of services by the North Berwick Police Department for not being able to pay for the taxi. He was released on a summons and began walking toward Berwick.

Police say it appears LeGrand forced his way into two separate apartments where he ate, took a shower and drank several beers from the victims' refrigerator. Police say LeGrand spent several hours in the two apartments and released several of the horses from an adjacent barn. He also stole money and other items from the apartments, police say.

LeGrand was to be arraigned today in Springvale District Court.

The Berwick Police Department reminds residents to make sure their doors and windows in their residences are locked.

Read more from:
Top Stories
Comment Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: